Mr Soong Chua Melbourne Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Arthroscopic Surgery of the Shoulder and Knee
- Shoulder and Knee Replacement Surgery
- Shoulder, Knee and Elbow Injuries
Mr Soong Chua is a Melbourne orthopaedic surgeon specialising in arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery of the shoulder, knee and elbow, including robotic joint replacement, rotator cuff repair and reverse total shoulder replacement surgery.
Born and educated in Melbourne, Soong completed his medical degree at the University of Melbourne. He obtained his fellowship in Orthopaedic Surgery from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a is a current fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association. He has served as the acting Deputy Director of the Orthopaedic Unit at Austin Health.
Soong undertook further subspecialty training internationally in London and Milan, where he helped in the treatment of professional athletes including international cricket, soccer and rugby players.
In London, he completed the prestigious Calvert Fellowship in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery at the Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, including an extended period at the world renowned Fortius Clinic.
Soong then moved to Milan to work with Mr Alessandro Castagna (past president of the European Society for Shoulder and Elbow Surgery) at the Istituto Clinico Humanitas, one of the most highly esteemed orthopaedic units in Italy.
During his time overseas, Soong gained experience in advanced surgical techniques in both arthroscopic surgery and joint replacement surgery.
He has since been invited on multiple trips to the United States and Europe for specific surgical visitations with some of the world’s leading surgeons. Combined with advanced surgical courses, Soong continues to refine his surgical skills and learn the newest techniques and technologies for achieving better patient outcomes.
Melbourne Orthopaedic Surgeon
Since his return to Melbourne, Soong has developed further expertise in joint replacement surgery, including robotic knee replacement, and advanced 3D planning and bone grafting techniques for difficult shoulder replacements and revisions.
He continues to work in the public health system through his appointments as a consultant orthopaedic surgeon at both the Austin and Box Hill Hospitals. In these positions, he is heavily involved in teaching of junior staff and students, and has been appointed as an AOA supervisor of training for orthopaedic trainees at the Austin Hospital.
Soong remains committed to the advancement of orthopaedic surgery and has made presentations of his research work at local and international meetings, as well as giving educational talks at AOA sanctioned events. He is also a reviewer for Shoulder & Elbow, a journal devoted to advancement in the diagnosis of shoulder and elbow disorders.
A dedicated family man, Soong is married with two young children. In his downtime, he enjoys golf, cricket and supporting the Hawks.
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Stabilisation and Labral Repair
- Shoulder Replacement including Reverse Shoulder Replacement
- Knee Arthroscopy
- ACL reconstruction
- Meniscus Repair
- Robotic Knee Replacement
- Patella Stabilisation
- Tennis Elbow Surgery
- Biceps Tendon Repair
- Ulnar Nerve Surgery
- Elbow Arthritis Surgery
- Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA)
- Shoulder and Elbow Society of Australia (SESA)
- Victorian Shoulder and Elbow Society (VSES)
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- International Society for Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
- Asia Pacific Knee, Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine Society (APKASS)
- AMA, ACMAV, ESSKA
- Orthopaedic Associates Melbourne, East Melbourne
- Epworth Ekera, Box Hill
- Heidelberg Park Specialist Centre, Heidelberg
- St Vincent’s Private Hospital, East Melbourne
- Epworth Freemasons Hospital, East Melbourne
- Epworth Eastern Hospital, Box Hill
- Warringal Private Hospital, Heidelberg
Current Appointments (Public Hospitals)
For more information, please visit www.soongchua.com.au